Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Vocabulary of Collaboration

Good feedback. Terrific observations. Yes, the process could be perceived as 'backward' depending on the perspective from which it is viewed.

I hope this conversation fuels ideas for approaches to thesis projects for the MFAs.

So, we each approach this process from a different perspective with different objectives.

What might feel organic to one person may not to another.

I'm putting on the producer's hat here;

Let's take a look at the genesis of the project and its relation to the Video Wall.

Dark Ride was originally suggested as a possible theatrical vehicle that could easily withstand the kind of research it would take to deploy media and satisfy the requirements for the MFA.

Dark Ride was largely a pragmatic choice--although I have affection for this particular piece, which has something to do with its funky post-human/film noir qualities.

The Video Wall was unavailable when the play was first suggested, as much as I wanted to use it. As a result, it was not the original media deployment choice.

The original choice was a simple 8'x8' projection screen hung from the ceiling of the cellar that I thought would promote a more organic approach.

The VW was added as part of the idea later when it became pretty clear that the wall was not going to be utilized for its original purpose, at least for a time. It was originally intended only as a means of providing virtual scenery.

It is certainly a different approach from, say, choosing Hamlet, based on having a clear, although not yet expressed, thematic concept.

I believe both approaches, along w/myriad others, have value and efficacy.

I'm happy with Angela's comments about the collaborative process at hand; it is certainly becoming so.

I hear and share the hunger for storyboarding and I completely agree with Alex's idea and ideas about getting in front of and using the wall.

We need to move the wall (for easier access) and set up shop in the IPL.
I got permission from David (the executive producer).

I would like very much now to get access to the acting classroom on the 3rd floor and begin some text analysis, along w/putting the play on its feet and brainstorming about the placement of the set pieces we'll be utilizing (those funky black plastic things).
The need for rehearsal "mock-ups" for the VW columns will become readily apparent.

As for adding programs to the wall; certainly. We need to check w/David first--so let's decide on some software that suits our needs and I'll run them past him.

Keep in mind as well, that the fluidity of this process allows for the inclusion of something as radically different as the kinect.

We now have new possibilities to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment