Monday, April 11, 2011

Cabling

We are close. So close.
Thanks for the work this evening.
I think it would be wise for us to label as much
as we can as clearly as we can for ourselves and future generations.
I want to continue the business discussion we began last week.
Interesting observations this evening--let's talk about the
acronym MFA and what it means in relation to what we are learning.
I think its very important to pay attention to the business aspects
of what we do. I have heard an MFA degree as a
"do something" degree. What are your thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. I know I learn better/quicker from actually getting my hands going and DOING the thing I'm trying to learn. I know that's not unique and I think we were all pretty excited last week about getting together some kind of masterclass of sorts to have someone come in and give us a crash course in Flash. Is that still a possibility? (either during this month or over the summer).

    As for the "business aspects of what we do", is it possible to have some kind of guest speaker or someone we know come in and give us their take on how the process we're going through would work in the "real world" beyond academia? I don't know, that was a thought that just popped into my head as I typed. Could be interesting to get outside POVs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading Erin's post I started thinking on what our world will be outside academia. One way to know is to see other people who use the skills that we are trying to "master" in the outside business world. Along with trying to perfect our "Dramatic Media" skills, I think it would also be useful to develop the business skills we will most likely need in order to employ what we have learned here once we have obtained our degrees. I believe getting outside POV's would be one good way to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The MFA exists in my head as a terminal degree slanted towards production with a working knowledge of theory and history of the discipline that we are working in. I appreciate the dual sides of this experience--the theory and the practice--as feeding each other. I am so inspired by the theory and history that I am learning in my film and theatre history and genre classes that inspire ideas in my practice; conversely, I am able to put into the context of history what we are working on in productions. I feel extremely lucky to be in this position and feel that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for all of us.

    While I understand the usefulness of learning the programs (that the University provides Adobe, logic, final cut pro, etc to us is, in itself, an incredible resource for me), I also understand that some of these programs might be obsolete in a year, in five and it is the core concepts of building the narrative, making interesting aesthetic choices that I would like direction and leadership with.

    That being said, I would take an Adobe class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the adobe fairy taps you on the head with his gnarled wand and says, "so you shall."
    I don't know that for sure but i imagine there's an imaginative way to make that happen--let's talk about on Wednesday--please remind me.

    Theory is relevant. A close study of theory can and will improve critical skills.

    History is, for me, of the utmost importance. A study of history reveals patterns. It is knowledge of these patterns that allow us the opportunity and impetus to update our mythologies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last comment was primarily an answer to Tif.
    I'm certain it must seem an odd non-sequitur.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin, the same thing with the Flash class--let's talk about ways that might happen and try a little more pro-activity. Sometimes it's a scavenger hunt. In the land of lean resources you have to be a little more imaginative.

    ReplyDelete